I'm used to buying 12Kg or 15Kg bags, do you have any plans to launch those sizes?
No, we chose 10Kg bags as three fit within a 30Kg parcel. With Akela you don't have to feed as much as most other brands due to the high meat content so smaller bags will usually suffice. Most customers used to ordering 15Kg bags usually switched to ordering 20Kg as Akela is often cheaper even in larger quantity. Smaller bags are also better for your back when lifting.
Is Akela suitable for my dog?
Akela is good enough to fuel working dogs if fed the right amount. It is also great for couch potatoes and most other canine companions inbetween - it is just a case of feeding the right amount for your dogs activity level and metabolism.
Whilst Akela is not designed to treat any medical conditions it is generally accepted that a good diet can help improve many conditions that can be caused by low quality diet. It is quite possible to see improved skin and coat condition, reduced scratching, calmer behaviour, better digestion and firmer poo consistency. Individual results will depend on the individual dog and the diet they are coming from. If you have any specific questions please do get in touch and one of our advisors will be happy to explain how Akela may help your specific situation.
Akela is not suitable for dogs with pancreatitis. Owners whos dogs have diabetes can possibly feed Akela, but should consult with their vet in case medication change is needed.
Changing your dog to Akela:
When transitioning over from another food, do so gradually over the course of around two weeks. This can be done as follows:
If switching from another dry or wet food to our equivalent:
- Days 1-4: 25% Akela Weight Control Daily Amount + 75% Previous Kibble Daily Amount
- Days 5-9: 50% Akela Weight Control Daily Amount + 50% Previous Kibble Daily Amount
- Days 10-14: 75% Akela Weight Control Daily Amount + 25% Previous Kibble Daily Amount
- Days 15+: 100% Akela Weight Control Daily Amount (then assess body weight, condition and stool firmness before increasing to moderate / high activity)
We also get asked how to transition from RAW to our kibble and we recommend the following:
- Days 1-4: 25% Akela Daily Amount (given as breakfast) + 75% Previous RAW Daily Amount (given as lunch and evening meal)
- Days 5-9: 50% Akela Daily Amount (given as breakfast) + 50% Previous RAW Daily Amount (given as afternoon meal)
- Days 10-14: 75% Akela Daily Amount (given as breakfast and one later meal)+ 25% Previous RAW Daily Amount (given as one meal)
- Days 15+: 100% Akela Daily Amount (given over 2 or 3 meals a day)
Most dogs will readily tuck into Akela. However, if your dog seems to be off their food, try crushing up and moistening the food with a little warm water and leaving to cool. This will help release the aroma of the food and make it more appetising. Cold water will have little effect on the kibbles due to the grain-free ingredients therefore it will not swell like other lesser quality brands.
It is best if the daily feeding amount is spread across several small meals throughout the day. The recommended amount may seem small but our food is very nutritious so each kibble is worth more to the dog than in less nutritionally dense kibbles. We recommend starting with 10% less than the feeding guide and then assessing body weight, condition and stool firmness.
If your dog has a weight problem then increase/decrease the daily feeding amount slightly as appropriate and monitor their weight over the course of a few weeks until a healthy weight is reached and re-adjust the daily feed to maintain this.
Full details on how much to feed can be found on our feeding guide page.
Akela & RAW / BARF diets:
It is fine to feed Akela alongside RAW - the high meat content means they go together well, especially as a backup if you forget to defrost or need to travel. We recommend feeding kibble at a different time of day to the RAW - but we do have customers who regularly mix our kibble with their raw mince.