When transitioning over from another food, do so gradually over the course of around two weeks. This can be done as follows:
If switching from another dry or wet food to our equivalent:
- Days 1-4: 25% Akela Weight Control Daily Amount + 75% Previous Kibble Daily Amount
- Days 5-9: 50% Akela Weight Control Daily Amount + 50% Previous Kibble Daily Amount
- Days 10-14: 75% Akela Weight Control Daily Amount + 25% Previous Kibble Daily Amount
- Days 15+: 100% Akela Weight Control Daily Amount (then assess body weight, condition and stool firmness before increasing to moderate / high activity)
We also get asked how to transition from RAW to our kibble and we recommend the following:
- Days 1-4: 25% Akela Daily Amount (given as breakfast) + 75% Previous RAW Daily Amount (given as lunch and evening meal)
- Days 5-9: 50% Akela Daily Amount (given as breakfast) + 50% Previous RAW Daily Amount (given as afternoon meal)
- Days 10-14: 75% Akela Daily Amount (given as breakfast and one later meal)+ 25% Previous RAW Daily Amount (given as one meal)
- Days 15+: 100% Akela Daily Amount (given over 2 or 3 meals a day)
Most dogs will readily tuck into Akela. However, if your dog seems to be off their food, try crushing up and moistening the food with a little warm water and leaving to cool. This will help release the aroma of the food and make it more appetising. Cold water will have little effect on the kibbles due to the grain-free ingredients therefore it will not swell like other lesser quality brands.
It is best if the daily feeding amount is spread across several small meals throughout the day. The recommended amount may seem small but our food is very nutritious so each kibble is worth more to the dog than in less nutritionally dense kibbles. We recommend starting with 10% less than the feeding guide and then assessing body weight, condition and stool firmness.
If your dog has a weight problem then increase/decrease the daily feeding amount slightly as appropriate and monitor their weight over the course of a few weeks until a healthy weight is reached and re-adjust the daily feed to maintain this.
Full details on how much to feed can be found on our feeding guide page.
Akela & RAW / BARF diets:
It is fine to feed Akela alongside RAW - the high meat content means they go together well, especially as a backup if you forget to defrost or need to travel. We recommend feeding kibble at a different time of day to the RAW - but we do have customers who regularly mix our kibble with their raw mince.